- DSLR-quality in about half the size and weight.
- 16 MP APS-C sensor with fast up to 10 fps shooting speed.
- Fast Hybrid AF includes phase-detection for DSLR-like focus.
- Full HD movie shooting at 60p/24p with full exposure control (1)
- Wi-Fi® sharing and downloadable camera apps (11).
- 180° tilt-able touch-screen LCD for easy self-portraits.
- Easy intuitive interface with improved control dial.
- Unlimited creativity with 11 built-in Picture Effects.
- Up to ISO 25600 provides versatile low-light performance.
- Photo Creativity Touch for easy image adjustments.
- Exmor™ APS HD CMOS Imaging sensor (23.5 X 15.6mm)
- Anti Dust: Charge protection coating on Optical Filter and ultrasonic vibration mechanism
- Pixel Gross: Approx. 16.7 megapixels
- Effective Picture Resolution: Approx. 16.1 megapixels
- Focal Length Conversion Factor: 1.5x
- Color Filter System: RGB primary color filters
- Memory Stick PRO Duo™, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™, SD memory card, SDHC memory card, SDXC memory card
- Color Space: sRGB, AdobeRGB
- Still Image Mode: JPEG (Standard, Fine), RAW, RAW+JPEG
- Still Image Size 16:9: L: 4912 x 2760 (14M), M: 3568 x 2000 (7.1M), S: 2448 x 1376 (3.4M)
- Still Image Size 3:2: L: 4912 x 3264 (16M),M: 3568 x 2368 (8.4M),S: 2448 x 1624 (4M)
- Panorama Still Image Size: Horizontal Wide: 12,416 x 1,856 (23M), Vertical : 5,536 x 2,160 (12M), Horizontal Std: 8,192 x 1,856 (15M), Vertical Std: 3,872 x 2,160 (8.4M)
- Video Format: AVCHD Ver. 2.0 (Progressive), AVCHD, MP4
- Video Mode: AVCHD: PS – 1920 x 1080/60p@28Mbps FX – 1920 x 1080/60i@24Mbps FH – 1920 x 1080/60i@17Mbps FX – 1920 x 1080/24p@24Mbps FH – 1920 x 1080/24p@17Mbps MP4: HD – 1440 x 1080/ 30fps@12Mbps VGA – 640 x 480/ 30fps@3Mbps
- Audio Format: Dolby Digital (AC-3) / MPEG-4 AAC-LC, 2ch
- Microphone: Built-in stereo microphones or ECM-SST1 (sold separately)
- Speaker: Built-in, monaural speaker (volume settings in 8 steps between 0 and 7)
- Still Image File Format: JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format)
Optics and Lens specifications
- Lens Mount Type: Sony E-mount lenses
- Digital Zoom: Approx. 4x (still images and videos)
- LCD Type: 7.5cm (3.0-type) wide type TFT (921,600 dots)
- Angle Adjustment Up: Approx. 180 degrees,
- Angle Adjustment Down: Approx. 50 degrees
- Brightness Control: Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather mode
- Real-time image adjustment display
- Peaking (Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off, Color: White/Red/Yellow)
- Customization: Graphic display/Display all info/Big font size display/No display info/Levels/Histogram/Viewfinder
- Touch Panel (Touch Shutter)
- Focus System: Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF) with “Exmor” APS HD CMOS sensor
- Focus Points: 99 points (phase-detection AF), 25 points (contrast-detection AF)
- AF Modes: AF-S: Single-shot AF, AF-C: Continuous AF
- Focus Sensitivity: 0 EV to +20 EV (at ISO100 conversion with F2.8 lens attached)
- Manual Focus Assist (4.8x, 9.6x)
- Focus Features: Predictive control, Focus lock, Eye-Start AF (with FDA-EV1S and LA-EA2, sold separately)
- AF Illuminator: Built-in, LED type (with a range of approx. 0.3-3.0m, with E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS attached)
- 11 types of picture effects (with 15 variations): Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R,G,B,Y), High Contrast Mono, Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature
- Auto Exposure Lock: AE is locked when the shutter button is half pressed (ON/OFF is available in MENU)
- Creative Style: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, B/W (Contrast (-3 to +3steps), Saturation(-3 to +3steps), Sharpness(-3 to +3steps))
- Exposure Bracketing: With 1/3, 2/3, 1, 2, 3EV increments, 3 frames
- Exposure Compensation: Still images: +/- 3.0EV (1/3EV steps), Videos: +/- 2.0EV (1/3EV steps)
- Exposure Settings: iAUTO, Superior Auto, Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Sweep Panorama, Scene Selection
- ISO: Still images: Auto (ISO 100-3200), Selectable (ISO 100-25600) Videos: Auto (ISO 100-3200), Selectable (ISO 100-6400)
- Metering: 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Modes: Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot
- Metering Sensitivity: 0EV-20EV (at ISO 100 equivalent with F2.8 lens)
- Noise Reduction: Long Exposure, High ISO
- Scene Mode(s): Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports Action, Sunset, Night Portrait, Night View, Handheld Twilight, Anti Motion Blur
- White Balance Mode: Auto WB, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Flash, C.Tem (2500 to 9900K), C.Filter (G7 to M7,A7 to B7), Custom
- Burst Buffer: Fine: 15 frames, Standard: 16 frames, RAW:11 frames, RAW&JPG: 10 frames (with E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Continuous Shooting Speed: Continuous (up to 3 fps), Speed Priority (up to 10 fps)
- Drive Mode: Single-shot, Continuous shooting, Speed Priority continuous shooting, Self-timer, Bracketing, Remote Cdr
- Flash Sync Speed: 1/160s
- Self-timer: 2s or 10s delay (single, continuous 3 or 5 frames)
- Shutter Speeds (Still images): Still images: 1/4000 to 30s (Bulb).
- Shutter Speeds (Videos): 1/4000 to 1/4 (1/3 steps) up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter)
- Shutter Type: Electronically-controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Flash Compensation: +/- 2.0EV (1/3EV steps)
- Flash Coverage: FOV coverage up to 16 mm (in the focal length)
- Flash Metering System: Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Modes: Autoflash, Fill-flash, Rear sync., Slow sync., Rear Sync., Flash Off
- Flash Type: External flash (supplied) attachable to Smart Accessory Terminal “Smart Terminal II” (sold separately)
- Guide Number: 7 (in meters at ISO 100 equivalent)
- Recycling Time: Approx. 4 sec.
- Self Timer: Yes (3 sec delay/Off selectable)
- Still Image Playback Options: Single, 6/12-frame index view, Enlarged display mode, Panorama (Standard), Panorama (Wide): 34x), Auto Review, Image orientation, Slideshow, Panorama scrolling, Folder selection, Delete, Protect
- Video Playback Options: Forward/Rewind
- Face Detection (maximum 8 faces)
- Smile Shutter™ technology
- Tracking Focus
- Auto High Dynamic Range
- Shooting Tips
- Sweep Panorama
- HD Output: HDMI® (TypeC mini), BRAVIA Sync, Photo TV HD
- PhotoTV HD
Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions: 4 3/8 x 2 3/8 x 1 9/16″ (110.8 x 58.8 x 38.9mm)
- Weight: 9.7 oz (276g) (with battery & media)
- Battery Type: InfoLITHIUM® NP-FW50 (7.2V)
- Power Consumption (in Operation while shooting Still images): 2.7W (with SEL-1855mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Power Consumption (in Operation while shooting Videos): 4.0W (with E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Operating System Compatibility: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Mac OS X (v10.3-10.8)
- Lens compensation: Peripheral Shading, Chromatic Aberration, Distortion
- Electronic Front Curtain Shutter
- PlayMemories Camera Apps
- Send to Computer
- View on Smartphone
- View on TV
In The Box
- Flash and flash case
- NP-FW50 rechargeable battery
- AC-UB10 AC adaptor
- Shoulder strap
- Body cap
- Micro USB cable
1. Records in up to 29 minutes segments.
2. In meters, IS0 100
3. Requires 3D HDTV, HDMI cable (at least 10.2 Gbps) and active 3D glasses sold seperately.
4. Not used
5. Attaching Sony A-mount lens requires LA-EA1 (note: Autofocus available with SSM and SAM series lenses when using LA-EA1) or LA-EA2 adaptors (sold separately).
6. Compatible with BRAVIA® Sync or Theatre Sync™ HDTVs connected via HDMI®.
7. Actual performance varies based on settings, environmental conditions, and usage. Battery capacity decreases over time and use.
8. Requires compatible BRAVIA® HDTV and HDMI® cable sold separately.
9. Auto Focus function available with Sony E-Mount lenses and Sony A-mount SSM and SAM series lenses when using LA-EA1.
10. Files compatible with iMovie® ’09 or later on Mac. Software not compatible with Mac OS® X.
11. Requires an active 802.11 Wi-Fi network (802.11n recommended) or PlayMemories Mobile™ app installed on compatible Android™ or iOS device. PlayMemories camera apps require download with existing Sony Entertainment Network account. Download available in all countries/areas where Sony Entertainment Network is available.