Get started with the SDK
This page will help you to get started right away with developing segments for the Personalized Radio service. It will guide you through installation of the Segment SDK, and setting up your development and test environments.
The Segment Developer Tools app is a simulator for a neckband unit. This app is the only part of the Segment SDK for your development machine. To test your segments on N, you will also need a neckband unit and a smartphone running the Future Lab Program N smartphone application (N host app).
The full development environment includes the following.
- The Segment Developer Tools app
- The Future Lab Program N smartphone application
- A developer account on the Future Lab Program for Developers website
- A Facebook account
- The physical components of N (optional)
Segment Developer Tools
The Segment Developer Tools app is a desktop application for testing and packaging segments.
To download the Segment Developer Tools app and the sample segments
- Go to the developer page for N.
- Sign up for a developer account. If you already have a developer account, you’ll be required to sign in before downloading the Segment Developer Tools package.
- Download the Segment Developer Tools package.
- Unzip the appropriate Segment Developer Tools package for your OS:
Segment Developer Tools package contents
Each download package contains the following applications and files.
|Sample segments||The source code for the sample segments.|
|The Segment Developer Tools app||The zip file for the Segment Developer Tools application.|
N supports ECMA-262, 5th edition.
The Segment Developer Tools app runs on the following operating systems.
|Operating system||Supported versions|
|Microsoft Windows||Windows®10, Windows®8.1, Windows®7 SP1|
|OS X and macOS||macOS® v10.12, OS X® v10.11, OS X® v10.10|
Development Environment setup
In the operating system text-to-speech (TTS) settings in your development environment, ensure that the English language is enabled.
Future Lab Program N smartphone application
The N host app is available from the App Store and from Google Play. The name of the N host app is Future Lab Program N on both platforms.